This website uses only cookies that are necessary to provide information and functionality. You can read more about this in our privacy policy here.

gallery1316 richtext1092

THE STORY ABOUT THE HAMMERICH COMPANY

In 1945 the war is over at long last. Just before that rear admiral Carl Hammerich unfortunately dies during the English bombardment of the Shell-house in Copenhagen. The time after World War II is difficult for the firm as for many other Danish and European  companies. By the end of the war  A/S L. Hammerich & Co. loose valuable agencies for wall and floor tiles as a consequense of Germany beeing divided in east and west. However, due to hard work new factories are found in West Germany, Portugal and Italy. Thereby the company regains a strong position for ceramic wall and og floor materials.

Already in 1941 V. Kann Rasmussen establishes his company and initiates the productionen of the well known Velux skylights in Oestbirk, Jutland.

Right after the war the Hammerich company obtains a dealership for the Velux program, and not long after that the sole representation for Jutland. The Velux window remains over the years an important article in the company program and is later on sold in large quantities all over the country.

Assistant manager Sven Hammerich, who was employed in 1937, gets promoted to director in 1947 (above right next to C. E. Olesen) along with Aage Filtenborg who is managing director (CEO).

Raw materials at hand

In Troldhede raw materials are fortunately right outside the door, and there is amble labour in western Jutland. Besides, after the war a lot of rebuilding as well as new buildings are needed. This means that in the years after the war sales of Troldtekt and Danatex soon begin to grow.

In 1951 an automatic telephone central isinstalled in Groennegade, Århus. Annual sales now amounts to  7.8 mio. kroner.

Barrister of the high court Louis Hammerich dies in 1954, and barrister of the supreme court Georg Løber joins the board. In 1955 the centenary of the foundation of the company is celebrated with a memorable trip to Copenhagen for the employees.

Troldtekt for new purposes
In 1956 the import of Ostara floor tiles is obtained. This agency is going to be of great importance to the company. At the end of the 1950’es and in the 1960’es the development of new areas for the use of Troldtekt is in focus. The use of the boards in i.e. athletics and sports halls gets more interesting. These areas of use, which will be extended later on, are going to influence the further development of Troldtekt. This happens on the background that wood-cement boards as an insulating material gradually meet hard competition and are thereby forced back by other and better materials like mineral wool and flamingo boards. At the same time function and looks together are beginning to gain importance. However, a number of years are going to pass before the new possibilities of use see the light of the day.
In 1960 director V. Kier is being succeeded by barrister of the supreme court Georg Løber as chairman of the board.

Pallet racks at Daugbjegvej

In the 1960’s Denmark experiences the largest economic growth within living memory. The shadow of the war has gone, and vast building activities are going on. Two of the largest building sites in Aarhus over the times are Aarhus City Council Hospital and Aarhus University, both of which undergo almost constant extentions over the years.
      
Since the twenties the company is a supplier to both in most of those phases and obtains large ordres of amongst other things Hasle clay tiles and pipes as well as steel windows from H. S. Hansen's Steel Window Factory, Lem.

In 1964 the first fully automatic plant in Denmark for the production of wood-cement boards is being installed in Troldhede.
           
A/S L. Hammerich & Co’s warehouse at the corner of Vestre Ringgade and Daugbjergvej updates to palletized goods and fork lift trucks. This is a big step within building materials, where handling of goods had until then been purely manual, and a timesaving rationalization which is going to expand sales. Now, it is advantageous to sell full pallets. In 1964 sales are reaching twenty million kroner.

Late in the 60’es Grafisk Tegnestue, Fredens Torv, designs the company's new logo which is in use for more than forty years.

-a good name to build on

In 1969  A. Filtenborg leaves the management and joins the board. The sales reps. Chr. Christianse, P. M. Lindberg and stock overseer P. Baastrup get pensioned after 36, 46 and 43 years of service respectively. Peter Hammerich, son of Sven Hammerich, is employed as assistant manager.

The 1970’es are characterized by impressive investments as well as severe crises. The permanet exibition of building ce-
ramics, Byggeladen, opens in the yard in Groennegade, and a service section for light contractor's machinery is established the same place after employment of Paul Hammerich, Sven Hammerich's second son. Important agencies such as Wolf Klinker from Germany and Marazzi housing-ceramics from the largest factory in Italy are included in the program. In 1970 director Aage Filtenborg. dies. A/S L. Hammerich & Co. have shortly before bought up Filtenborg's shares in the company. Sven Hammerich continues as sole director until 1977, when he retires after having celebrated his 40 year's anniversary, joining the board in stead. Assistant director Carl Erik Olesen and Peter Hammerich, 3rd generation of the family, are appointed directors