The foundation (Legatet) was founded in Aarhus on 3rd October, 1936 in memory of the late grosserer Louis Hammerich (Pater) and his wife Ellen, nee Liisberg (Mater). Louis Hammerich founded/took over the family business in 1884 and worked there till his death in 1931.
The first board consisted of captain commander Carl Hammerich, colonel J. D. von Stemann (son in law) and the newly appointed director of the Hammerich company, A. Filtenborg.
Today's board consists of Tone Hammerich Ackermann (chairman), Henriette Dehli, Jette Fog, Malene Hammerich Abildstrøm, and Niels E. Valdal (administrator).
As mentioned elsewhere the foundation is today solely a family fund giving grants only to the descendants of Louis Hammerich and his wife Ellen.